The Great Hall is situated in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs, less than 5km from the CBD within the splendid grounds of Sydney Boys High School at Moore Park. Built in 1927, this grand hall with its 7.5 metre ceilings and tranquil cloisters provides an affordable venue in a prime location. Adjacent to Fox Studios and fashionable Crown & Bourke Streets, The Great Hall is one of Sydney’s best kept secrets.
Outside the hall on the west side there is a charming, enclosed garden with colonnades which provide the perfect setting for pre-dinner cocktails and has ample space for a bar and live music. On the east side of The Great Hall a balcony runs the length of the Hall with garden views.
- Theatre Style – 720pax
- Cocktail Parties – 600pax
- Banquet Sittings – 280pax
- Exhibition space – 325 square metres
Capacity will vary with precise seating arrangements. Example standard seating plans are available in the Venue Specifications section.
The school has three preferred caterers providing service to the Great Hall. Clients wishing to use their own caterers should contact the Venues Manager.
An appropriate liquor licence is required to serve or sell alcohol. The responsibility of delivery, storage and service of alcohol during events rests with the holder of the liquor licence.
Access & Parking
The Great Hall is located within Sydney Boys High School. Vehicular access is from the Sir Roden Cutler Gates (Gate 9) Anzac Parade, Surry Hills.
Floor Plans can be downloaded as PDF documents –
- Great Hall – Dimensions
- Floor Configuration – Dinner (up to 280 pax)
- Floor Configuration – Dinner w. dance floor (up to 250 pax)
- Floor Configuration – Theatre Style w. one aisle (up to 720 pax)
- Floor Configuration – Theatre Style w. two aisles (up to 600 pax)
There is ample parking subject to approval from the Venues Manager.
Public Liability obligations must be met as set out in the Hire Agreement.
- Place of Public Entertainment Licence – POPE
- Disabled access
- 72 square metre stage with stage door facility
- No noise restrictions
- Sound system
- Grand piano
- Large, tiered gallery level at the rear of the Hall with projection room
- Kitchen facility
- Ample break out rooms for large conferences or conventions
- 20 x 6’ round banquet tables, ample chairs for any event
Great Hall Venue Manager
Phone: 02 9361 6910 x102